Swapping your home
Is your home too big? Or maybe you’d like a change of scenery? Live closer to friends or family? Did you know you can swap homes with another tenant with a Scottish Secure Tenancy?
All Scottish Secure Tenants have the legal right to swap homes with another tenant with a Scottish Secure Tenancy - this is usually called a 'Mutual Exchange'. It can be the fastest and easiest way to find the right home for you, especially if you’re not a priority on the housing waiting list.
Swapping home Q&As
Swapping your home might be a good option for you if you’re:
- Living in a home that’s too big or too small for you
- Want to be closer to work, family and other support networks
- Looking for a change of scenery or to live in a different location and you wouldn’t qualify to be rehoused
- Low priority on your local authority or other Housing Association housing register
The following conditions will be applied to all mutual exchanges:
- Both tenants’ landlords must be willing to give permission for the exchange to take place
- Trust tenants should normally have lived in their property for at least 12 months prior to the submission of their application
- Both tenants must intend to occupy the property as their permanent home
- Trust must be satisfied that both tenancies have been conducted in a satisfactory manner
- The rent accounts of both tenants should normally be clear and up to date.
- If either tenant has rent arrears then Trust must be satisfied that an arrangement is in place for repayment of the arrears and that this has been adhered to for at least 3 months
- Where the Trust property is not a general needs property (i.e. it is sheltered, amenity, retirement housing, supported, care at home or otherwise intended for a particular client group), Trust must be satisfied that the incoming tenant meets the requirements for such accommodation
- The household proposing to move into a Trust property must have a suitable family composition which will not lead to overcrowding or significant under occupation of the Trust property.
- Trust will not pay for the costs of any redecoration required by a tenant moving into a Trust property; the incoming tenant must accept the property in its existing decorative condition
- The outgoing Trust tenant must pay for any repairs for which they are responsible or which have been caused by their negligence before any exchange takes place
Trust doesn't maintain a list of tenants seeking a mutual exchange. Customers who are seeking a swap will have to find someone to exchange themselves. For example, they can advertise on social media or enquire with other registered social landlords including local authorities.
For more information on how to complete mutual exchange or any other questions please call us on 0131 444 1200 and speak to our Customer Solutions Team who will be happy to help.
For more information on swapping your home or any other tenancy change questions, please call us on 0131 444 1200 and speak to a member of the Customer Support Team or contact your Customer Partner who will be happy to help.