Ending your tenancy
We strive to deliver 10/10 experiences but appreciate that sometimes people need to move to be closer to family, friends or employment and we like to make it as simple as possible for customers to end their tenancy.
Find out more about how to end your tenancy, giving notice and what you need to know about moving out of your Trust home.
We’re sorry to hear you’re thinking of leaving us. Here’s everything you need to know about giving us notice and moving out. You must give us a minimum of 28 days’ written notice. For example, if you give us notice on the 1st of the month, your tenancy will end on the 28th of the month at 23:59.
A signed letter should be posted to the Support Team to the Trust Edinburgh office at;
Trust Housing Association
12 New Mart Road
Alternatively you may wish to scan a signed letter and email this to our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you live at a staffed development you can also hand a signed letter to a member of staff on-site.
Please note that the notice period will only commence from the day Trust receives the notification.
Here’s a quick recap of some important things you need to remember when moving out of your home with Trust:
- Ensure any arrears have been settled
- You’ll need to continue to pay utility bills and council tax up to your tenancy end date
- Make sure you don’t owe Trust any other charges from previous periods
- Empty your home, including furniture and floor coverings
- If you leave any personal belongings, fixtures or furniture behind, we’ll need to charge you for removal costs
- Leave everywhere – inside and out – neat, tidy and clean
- Remove anything installed without Trust’s permission, and repair any damage
- Apply for any ‘compensation for improvements’
- Ensure everyone living with you leaves too
- Take meter readings as you leave the property, report these to Trust and your energy company
- Make sure you inform relevant people, agencies and any other organisations that you’re moving
- You may need to pay for repairs or the replacement of damaged fixtures and fittings
- Please remove any medical equipment before the tenancy ends e.g. hoists, hospital beds, stair lifts and oxygen tanks etc
- We’ll visit your home to inspect its condition during the notice period and at the end of your tenancy
- Return all keys on or before the last day of your tenancy
- Provide a forwarding address