Trust Housing, Care & Support Provider Menu Menu icon

Simple clear advice on the benefits you can claim

We offer tailored benefits advice to our tenants and anyone applying for a property with us. Our Benefits Advice Service can help you with general information and guidance, a benefits check, help to make a claim and assistance with filling out forms.

Easy guides

To read more about how we can help with benefits, download our Benefits brochure or our Easy Guide to Benefits for the 60+.

If you need advice please contact our dedicated Benefits Officers at or on 0131 444 4969. Working hours are Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4pm.

Frequently asked questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about benefits. Remember you can use our Benefits Advice Service if you’re a Trust tenant or if you’re applying for a Trust home.

What is Welfare Reform?

Welfare Reform is a term used to describe changes to the state benefits system made by the UK Government.

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing benefit is paid by the UK Government to help people on a low income to pay their rent. You can find out if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit by visiting - our Benefits Advice Service could help too.

Could I be entitled to Housing Benefit if I’m selling my own home?

If your property is on the market you could get help with your rent for six months, depending on your income. For example, a single person over the age of 65 with an income of around £300 per week may still be entitled to some help with their rent.

What is PIP and how does this affect me?

PIP (previously called Disability Living Allowance or DLA) stands for ‘Personal Independence Payment’ and is for people aged 16 to 64 who are affected by long-term ill health or disability. The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you; not the condition itself.

The payment isn't means-tested (based on your income or savings) and you can claim it whether you're working or not. It’s tax-free and you can spend the money as you choose.

If you’re currently claiming DLA this will eventually be replaced with PIP, and as there’s no automatic entitlement to PIP this means you’ll be reassessed.

You can get more information here.

What is Universal Credit (UC)?

UC is a means-tested benefit available to people under pension age who are on a low income. UC replaces the following benefits:

      • Income Support;
      • Income-Related Employment  Support Allowance;
      • Income-Based Job Seeker Allowance;
      • Housing Benefit; 
      • Tax Credits. 

UC is intended to be simpler than the current system of benefits and tax credits, and is paid on a monthly basis.

Entitlement is worked out by comparing your basic financial needs (that the government says you need to live on) with your financial resources. UC includes help towards the cost of rent and will be paid directly to the recipient who can choose to pay their landlord at a later date (In Scotland only).

UC is being introduced gradually, to check if it's available in your area go to Citizens Advice website.

You need to apply for UC online. After you apply, you must contact your local Jobcentre Plus within seven days to make an appointment with a work coach. You can make a start on your claim by clicking here

Benefits Calculator

The Age UK Benefits Calculator will help you find out what benefits you can claim, it's free and anonymous You should still seek professional advice.